Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Preparing for the new Guard Codex

Well, I've been planning to start a new IG army using the Vostroyans that my wife bought for me a while back. Once I heard that there was a new codex in the works, I decided to wait and see what I could make using the new list. My goal is a low model count at 2000 pts -- in other words LOTS of vehicles. Also I'm looking to play with some models I never went in for with my Cadians (like the Ogryns). So here are two lists I'm kicking around:

List 1:

Company Command A 205
Company Command Squad
Mortar
Master of Ordnance
Body Guard
Fleet Off
Astropath
Carapace Armor
Chimera - Multi Las, Hvy Bltr
ML, HF

Co CMD B 175
Company Cmd Squad
Mortar
Master of Ordnance
Carapace Armor
Chimera - Multi Las, Hvy Bltr

Ogryn x5 265
Chimera - Multi Las, Hvy Flamer

Veterans (Grenadiers) 210
Plasma Guns x3
Chimera - Multi Las, Hvy Flamer, Hvy Stubber

Veterans (Grenadiers) 210
Plasma Guns x3
Chimera - Multi Las, Hvy Flamer, Hvy Stubber

Veterans (Grenadiers) 200
Melta Guns x2, Flamer
Chimera - Multi Las, Hvy Flamer

Vendetta 130
Vendetta 130

Basilisk 125

Leman Russ Demolisher 215
Las Cannon, Plasma Cannon

Leman Russ Battle Tank 170
3x Heavy Bolters


Outflanking infantry has bee a staple of my guard armies since it was introduced in 5th Ed, so... I thought I'd also play around with Al'Rahem:

List 2:

Company Command A 220
Company Command Squad
Mortar
Master of Ordnance
Body Guard
Fleet Off
Astropath
Carapace Armor
Chimera - Multi Las, Hvy Bltr
ML, HF

Co CMD B 140
Company Cmd Squad
Mortar
Master of Ordnance
Chimera - Multi Las, Hvy Bltr

Veterans (Grenadiers) 200
Plasma Guns x3
Chimera - Multi Las, Hvy Flamer

Veterans (Grenadiers) 200
Plasma Guns x3
Chimera - Multi Las, Hvy Flamer

Veterans (Grenadiers) 200
Melta Guns x2, Flamer
Chimera - Multi Las, Hvy Flamer

Outflank Platoon 290
Platoon Cmd
Al'Rahem
2xMelta Gun
flamer

Inf Squad A
Grenade Launcher

Inf Squad B
Grenade Launcher

Inf Squad C
Flamer


Vendetta 130
Vendetta 130

Basilisk 125

Leman Russ Demolisher 215
Las Cannon, Plasma Cannon

Leman Russ Battle Tank 170
3x Heavy Bolters

Thoughts? Also looking for conversion ideas for the out-flankers: I'm looking for something with a less heavily armored look than the Vossies, but will seem thematically related.

3 comments:

Max said...

Well, first of all, welcome!

So, Vostroyans=carapace armor, right? I'm a little off on my guard armies.

Before commenting on the list, I'd like to hear what your battle plan is for the two lists and what role the different units are intended to play. Also what restrictions you'd like to place on your army (i.e. low model count, carapace as much as possible, etc.)

Hudson said...

Fair enough, I picture using the grenadiers as primary objective grabbers, the Russ for denial and troop killing. The Ogryns will be held back to provide counter assault as needed.

The two Co. Cmds stay within 12" of the grenadiers to provide orders if they dismount (i.e. if their ride gets gakked) I'm thinking that I'll probably alternate movement of the Co. Cmds so that at least one MoO can call in a barrage per turn.

The bassie provides another barrage pie-plate or to act as an assault gun if it needs to move. Finally the Vendettas enter by out-flank and act as gunships for additional Anti-Tank support.

For the second list, I drop the Ogryns to pick up the outflankers. Their role is two-fold; grab objectives and be a general thorn in my opponents side.

As for resctictions: 1. Use as many of the Vostroyans (Carapace Armor) as I can (I have around 40) 2. Mechanized -- I've wanted to do a mech guard army for a while, with chimeras dropping to 55 pts, I figure now is a good time. 3. Provide a good back-drop for several conversion projects I have in mind. Yes I may well end up with some units that look cool but rarely get used.

Space Hulk Enthusiast said...

Welcome Hudson.
Glad to see you've finally gave in to blogging. And you thought you had no free time before...